Friday, August 12, 2011

Is being anti-smoker's rights mean that you're a bigot?


I have some friends who smoke, and some relatives who smoke. I would NEVER tell them that they can't smoke around me. I'll just go somewhere else. But when it comes to smoke entering my personal environment - like my apartment - I sing a very different tune.
So I was surprised when I put this question up on Facebook that my social circle did NOT have my back - and all these people were non-smokers. They said that smokers had the right to smoke, and they should be able to smoke in their apartment, even if it permeates into my non-smoking apartment.
Dianna made the analogy that smoking is a lifestyle, and I shouldn't be able to infringe on the lifestyles of my fellow tenants. She compared it to owning a dog. If I owned a dog, and the apartment suddenly went dog-free, would I be upset. Well, yes, of course I'd be upset. And of course the smokers are upset. Whenever someone infringes on your lifestyle you get upset.
My point is just that I don't feel I should have to smell smoke in my apartment, and other's opinions be damned. But Dianna's argument does have me thinking...

3 comments:

Jess said...

I must have missed this one on Facebook. I'm with you! I feel like I shouldn't have to breath it, smell it, etc.,

shesthesheriff said...

Its ludicrous to me that well educated people get anywhere near the smokers side of this argument. Duuuude 2nd hand smoke smells like shit and it gives you fucking cancer!

I would say if you make the argument that you have a right to smoke in the same bar/restaurant/apartment where I'm paying to be, then I reserve the right to go up to you and fart in your face, or pipe the smell of my farts into your apartment.

Outsource said...

Wow, what a beautiful piece of blog writing. Loved reading your blogs and I have subscribed for your blog posts by email.
Felt Good Reading Your Blog