Sunday, May 1, 2011

What's the proper way to address a celebrity?

So you meet Bristol Palin. Or Joan Rivers (Dianna did both last night at the White House Correspondent's Dinner). How do you address someone whom you "know" through the media - whom everyone knows, really - but you've never met before?
Here are some options:

1. Hi. I don't think we've met. My name is.... (Dianna said this stinks)
2. Hi. My name is....
3. Hi. Big fan. I'm...
4. Hey Bristol. I'm....
5. Bristol, you don't know me, but my name is...
6. All these do indeed stink. Better answer, please?

4 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

Well I think you got to have a real reason to introduce yourself. You wouldn't say 'big fan' to Bristol, because you aren't.

Wait haven't you done this before in your journalism career? WTF did they teach you at N'western anyway???

Jonathan Rubin said...

I meant as a non-journalist, chucklehead.

Journalists do it this way:

"Ms. Palin, my name is Jonathan Rubin from the NY Times Tribune Jewish Herald. Can I ask you a few questions?"

CarolynK. said...

Why are you asking this question?

Melissa. said...

I think the most effective way for a non-journalist to address a celebrity is to shriek really really loudly, then say "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Like, Oh my God! You're really [name of celebrity]. Oh my God! Um, like, can I have an autograph? I don't believe this! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" The plebeian should then intersperse this discourse with shrieks and jump up and down a few times while trying to contain his/her arms close to his/her upper body.