Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts on Osama Bin Laden's death


So CNN is jabbering and filling airtime while they wait for President Obama to speak. And I feel very strange inside. He killed thousands of Americans in a gross and horrific act of terrorism. I wanted him to die very badly in 2001 - I prayed for it, even.
Now, so many years have past, it's tough for me to get in touch with that bloodlust again. Certainly it is justice - whether death or imprisonment, he deserved to pay for his crimes. He is a terrible and evil person without a doubt.
And yet I don't feel like celebrating. It no longer seems appropriate to be happy about this for some reason. I'm not sad - I don't really feel anything.
And the fact that I'm NOT happy is disturbing - not because I feel I should be, but because it shows what strange and emotional creatures we are, and how "justice," whatever that means, varies over time.
Wolf Blitzer and John King keep talking about what a historic moment this is. It seems weird that history can balance on the death on one man hiding in a cave in Pakistan (probably). It doesn't feel historic, even if it is. Maybe it's just too big for me right now...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel scared. Won't his followers retaliate?

shesthesheriff said...

Now the real question is how would you address Osama Bin Laden as a journalist on the 17 day anniversary of copyright infringement friday??

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, Jon. In fact, the "celebrating" in the streets feels oddly obscene.

Carolyn

Martin said...

I'm not happy either. Nor sad. It seems anti-climactic somehow. All the reveling in the streets makes us no better than the crowds that cheered the destruction of the Trade Center. I'm sure there are places in the U.S. where yahoos fired off their AK-47s - or AR-16s - as well.

shesthesheriff said...

And I guess on a more serious note Jon--OBL's dirty deeds were just a manifestation of how a lot of people felt and still do feel. His death isn't going to change the behavior of the major actors in the region, Al Qaeda is going to be open for business as long as they can continue to get recruits, and some other dude will become the figurehead if it hasn't already happened. Its a non event, period. Even if we had dropped a bomb on OBL on day one would that really have changed anything?

CEDG said...

Celebrating anyone's death IS obscene, even if the person was a mass murderer. The Torah says, "Thou shalt not kill." It doesn't say, "Thou shalt not kill except for really bad guys, etc."