Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm (sorta) fat


My doctor says I'm fat.

Not verbatim, but he says I need to lose weight. Specifically, I need to lose 5 pounds in order to lose weight in my FACE. The reason behind this is a very important one: I snore.

And what causes snoring?

Fatness. Specifically, the fatness around your throat, which jiggles / vibrates when you sleep and causes the snore.

So fat people - of which I am now one, apparently -snore.

Being overweight, even marginally, is a strange feeling for me, since I consistently think of myself as very thin. Most of my life I've been called "skinny", "rail-thin", "slender" and even, occasionally "emaciated." I've grown out of that phase over the past 5 years, but in my head I'm still very thin. In reality, I have probably graduated to an "average" body type, which is something I've always wanted.

But some aspects of my new body type sneak up on me. Some of my old dress shirts can't be buttoned at the top, for example. When I lie on my side, I have a little pot belly that other times seems to hide somewhere on my midsection.

Have you ever experienced weight fluctuations? How did you take them?

1 comment:

shesthesheriff said...

I think you may be going through what a friend of mine referred to as the '30's spread'. It doesn't mean you're going to be shopping at Big Dogs, but you may see a gradual increase in your Bud Light cells. Should I order something from NFL films for you for Chanukah???