Saturday, February 12, 2011

Look how far cable TV has come....

No, this isn't a music video, but it's the song for your reference.
In 1985 Weird Al did a song called "Cable TV" which described the life-transforming power of getting a cable hookup. I still have it on cassette and I play it in my car to much enjoyment.
But my favorite part is the anachronistic bits. Whenever he does a topical song, he will exaggerate things to make them funny. Example: In "It's All about the Pentiums" he describes having a "flat screen monitor 40 inches wide" and a computer with "100 gigabytes of RAM."
But in "Cable TV," the 1985 exaggerations have already been surpassed. He complained about his Cable costing him a ridiculous "50 bucks a month" in 1985. Using the uber-cool Inflation Calculator, I can see this equals $98 a month in 2010, something that people regularly pay.
He also exults in having "83 channels of ecstacy." I think even the most basic package has this beat.


3 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

TAKE some wooden nickels
LOOK for Mr. goodbar.
GET your mojo working now
Ill show you how
When you dare to be stupid.

Jonathan Rubin said...

:) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I'm searching for this kind of video about the evolution of cable TVs. Good thing I bumped into your post.