Monday, January 24, 2011

The sad truth about senior citizens and phone scams

In a story I read recently about yet another phone scam targeting senior citizens, one quote by a detective made me pause. He remarked that older people are especially vulnerable to scams because, "We’re talking about a generation of people who work on trust and have grown up that way."

Now, at first that may seem like saying that old people are suckers. Or sadly unsophisticated. That's what I often think when I read these stories.

But this time I felt sad for MYSELF rather than them. They lived in a time before global calls could be made for 2 cents a minute. Before cell phones, the internet. The vast majority of their communications came from people they knew. It was all their community, family and friends. So there was a degree of trust in EVERY communication they received.

That's something great they had that they've lost. And that we've lost too. Bummer.

3 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

I don't know. Both of my grandfathers grew up in kind of a mafia culture and didn't trust or like hardly anyone outside of their immediate family. Once you get past their pleasant facade, many old people are just as jaded and conniving as most of the people scamming them, they just happen to be lonely and senile enough to fall for it. And when they lose there savings account 'oh, i remember when you didn't have to lock the door blah blah blah.'

shesthesheriff said...

I don't know. Both of my grandfathers grew up in kind of a mafia culture and didn't trust or like hardly anyone outside of their immediate family. Once you get past their pleasant facade, many old people are just as jaded and conniving as most of the people scamming them, they just happen to be lonely and senile enough to fall for it. And when they lose there savings account 'oh, i remember when you didn't have to lock the door blah blah blah.'

Jonathan Rubin said...

Is your double posting a sign of YOUR senility, my good man?