Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gov 2.0 and MTV's 16 and Pregnant


So as some of you know, I have a funky government job using social media.

Our term for the use of social media, along with the applied philosophy of transparency, collaboration and public participation, is "Gov 2.0." Part of my job was to create and update a cool timeline of all the significant Gov 2.0 milestones, such as the first FourSquare check-in from space, or the first government wiki. (If you click there, the timeline link right above the timeline to the left offers an easier view).

But anyway, so I love Gov 2.0 and am constantly looking for ways to help our government work better, cheaper, and faster. So when I came upon the hit show "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom," I immediately wondered if they were partnering with the great service called Text4baby, which is a collaboration between private, non-profits and gov groups.

What Text4baby does is send expectant moms text messages with tips for your pregnancy and caring for your baby, all timed to your expectant due date. All you do to sign up is text BABY (or BEBE for Spanish) to 511411 - done! So I emailed the "16 and Pregnant" producers to suggest they partner with this amazing program and help teens who get pregnant lead healthier lives. Here is their response:


Hi Jon,
Thank you for your email! MTV is actually a partner of the program. Take a look at these clips from 16 & Pregnant:

· http://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2010/03/26/video-find-out-how-texting-can-help-young-mothers/
· http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/608136/text4baby-informational.jhtml

Dr. Drew also promoted text4baby during the teen mom finale special last February: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=100983533269716&saved.

Please feel free to keep sending suggestions!

Sincerely,
Arlene

1 comment:

shesthesheriff said...

I signed up for Text4baby and they told me I was an accident. Then they told me to get an abortion.