Friday, November 12, 2010

What my garden has taught me about mortality


I've written before (here and here) about the unexpected joys of windowsill gardening. But I think I've made a breakthrough... into waxing philosophic.
The amount of effort I've put into these plants and herbs (especially the cilantro, at right, grown from seeds) is really unprecedented for me. I really haven't dropped this hobby for more than 6 months, I believe, which Dianna can tell you is probably a record. I have read books (including the fantastic Square Foot Garden - thanks Mel), many countless trips to home depot, spoken with old ladies for gardening tips, and this week, even done weeding for the first time in my life.
All of it is amazing - learning coupled with visible results that are, occasionally, edible too.
But as I've grown more seasoned, there was this inescapable fact sneering in the distance - winter was coming, and all my wonderful plants were going to die.
Like, all of them.
Winter isn't something that you can appeal, weasel out of, or get deferred after you get a letter from you bank. It's like a very, very large tree that is slowly falling toward that very nice shed you built. You know that no matter what you do, that shed is just toast. It's going to get leveled, and you're just going to have to pick up the pieces and start over again.
Finally, you stop struggling and looking for ways to cheat nature, and you accept it. Spring is just around the corner. Patience, please.

1 comment:

shesthesheriff said...

Hmm. Gotta chop that shit up and freeze it mang.