Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kids these days (circa 40 b.c.e.)

It is among the many blessings of getting older: hating the next generation. They are too selfish, disrespectful, loud and out of control. They are unfit to lead or follow. They, in the words of Chemical Romance, "scare the living shit out of me."


(P.S. Yes, I have written about this before, but I have a new tack. Trust me).


But if bitching about young people is an eternal maxim, doesn't that then mean that kids have always been ruffians, and we therefore, are overreacting? Here are some examples of adults chastising their young through history:


"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

- Plato


"When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint."

- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.


"The world is passing through [troubled] times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as

if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

- Peter the Hermit, 1274


"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Socrates

1 comment:

shesthesheriff said...

Kids--by Lance Romance

Well I don't know about you
but I sure hate kids
they kick me and they call me names
they never shut their lids

I hate those little bastards
I hate those little fucks
I want to run them over
I want to step on their toy trucks

I really hate children
they all should be killed
their bikes should be stolen
all kids should be grilled