Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Through sheer ignorance, I mistake "Panic At the Disco" for an obscure 1980's New Wave band

Anyone could have made the same mistake. I was at Karyoke with Dianna and two friends in Adam's Morgan. A "hip" looking girl, short and toughish looking, belted out a song I had never heard before called "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off."
Only three people in the whole place knew the song, which made me think it was obscure. The lyrics made me think it was older, too:

Let's get these teen hearts beating. Faster, faster
So testosterone boys and harlequin girls,
Will you dance to this beat, and hold a lover close?
So testosterone boys and harlequin girls,
Will you dance to this beat, and hold a lover close?

So I bought the song on iTunes and listened to it as I walked to work. I couldn't figure out if it was any good or not. I still can't. I think about Public Image Limited, Dead Milkmen, and The Kinks, other bands that I never heard of until much later. Just another band that never got played on the radio that I'd never heard of.

Until I heard another song of theirs, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." This title sounded emo as hell. And when I heard the song, I remember I'd heard it four years before, when I was chaperoning my sister's boyfriend's teenage daughter to a Fall Out Boy show. And it was terrible and pop-crapular. And, apparently, from 2005, not 1985. So, yeah, I got duped.

3 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

I'm not sure if PATD and similar bands intentionally write songs that have the staying power of a tic tac or they just aren't good enough to dig deeper.

One thing is certain Emo will be remembered as rock and roll's last and most heavily moussed death rattle.

I am going to have Sorkin call you and give you a lecture about the particularities of New Wave, No Wave, and other types of Synth Pop so that you don't make this mistake again.

shesthesheriff said...

BTW what was the reaction of the young emo faction when you busted out Minnie the Moocher?

Jonathan Rubin said...

We didn't get to sing. Too crowded and too late. But Minnie shall return. This I swear.