Sunday, May 23, 2010

Impressively elaborate car insurance scams


Insurance companies are easily hateable. Less reported, however, is how feared they are.

I, for one, will do battle with insurance companies over their frequent wrongdoings - denial of claims, paperwork runaround, misinformed collections goons. But I would be very, very afraid to get on their wrong side, and unleash a horde of ravenous lawyers who thirst for their per-diems and retainer fees, or whatever lawyers thirst for nowadays.

So insurance fraud is something I would never entertain, because I'm sure they don't take that lightly.

Especially for complex, multi-person fraud schemes like this one:

Gangs of thieves stage accidents, fake injuries and then collect millions in fraudulent insurance claims. The criminals usually work in groups to stage the accidents and make fraudulent insurance claims. A typical scam might include paid witnesses, several drivers, passengers who will claim injuries, and medical providers who will make false claims for the treatment.

Wow. That is some well-thought-out fraud. Think about that. Let's coordinate a group of friends to all be in the same place at the same time, have a controlled accident, file fake witness reports fake injuries, bribe / fool medical folks and doctors... that's practically a three-part action thriller right there. The logistics here - this sounds like hours and hours of work, and much risk, to make what is certainly NOT a fast buck.

So, in the end, I can't tell if these criminals are smart or stupid. But they certainly are task-focused.

2 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

Its easier to find $100 bills on thayer st.

Pam said...

I want to know where this "data" came from? I tried to click on the link from the Consumer Protection website or whatever that was to read more but it led me to some unrelated MSN site. I would not be surprised if the insurance companies "created" the "data" so they can justify screwing people every way they can, following injured people with surveillance cameras and basically making injured peoples's lives hell? I should probably not b*tch so much b/c if insurance companies were not as evil as they are I would be out of a job. Anyway I would check the source. I would say those supposed theives, if they actually do exist are idiots because trying to get an insurance company to pay up can be like getting water out of stone. Just my .02