Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wasting important people's valuable time


At a conference today I had the pleasure of seeing some top-notch speakers, one of whom was Craig Newmark, famed founder of Craigslist and all-around liked and brilliant guy (here's his pathetically thin Wikipedia entry).

Anyway, I told my girlfriend that I was hearing him speak, and she said, "Hey, ask him how come I can't sell my TV."

So I did.

I waited until after he was done (he was nice, nerdish and charmingly odd, BTW) and approached. I congratulated him on his speech, and asked if I could ask him a silly question. He said sure.

"How can I sell my girlfriend's 19" inch SONY TV?" I said.
"Is it flatscreen?" he asked.
"Nope."
"Hmmm.... well, tell the truth about it, and lower their expectations. And maybe be prepared to give it away. There are better TV's than that for free on Craigslist," he said.

Well said, Mr. Newmark.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I've heard the same thing. You can't sell TV's that aren't flatscreens on craigslist anymore because no one wants them.

P.S. Craig is awesome!

shesthesheriff said...

You should have asked him a different question and found out just how familiar he is with the 'erotic services' section, like, 'I consider myself a twink, what is the best way to word an ad to attract a bear?'

Hey I'll buy Diana's TV! I hate them flatscreen pieces of shit!

Jonathan Rubin said...

$30 OBO. Must pick up from Arlington. Comes with remote. Only 1 previous owner (2 if you count me). A real steal (but don't steal it!)