Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Make sure to read things you disagree with

I keep coming back to this topic:
No matter how smart you think you are, if you consume media, there's still a good chance you are going to places that think like you do.
I believe we have a greater urge to consume media than to be challenged by it. After all, there is some value to doubting yourself and your values, and reexamining them, but how often do you really want to do this?
So conservatives can be forgiven for hanging out with Fox, and liberals for lounging with MSNBC.
There is a problem with hanging with birds of the same feather all the time, however - you start to get freaked out by birds from outside your coop. So, for example, when I used to be into left-wing protesting and would read commondreams.org all day, very quickly I began to avoid and mistrust the "mainstream media" and the information stream I consumed became incredibly narrow.
Today, thanks to my journalism experience, I know the value in talking to all sides, even if some of them can't always be trusted (i.e. Fox). So no matter where you are on the political spectrum, make sure to read websites you disagree with.

This message brought to you by self-important ex-journalists.

No comments: