Wednesday, March 24, 2010

America ain't got no use for old people...


While walking by the White House recently, I was thrilled to see Helen Thomas, famed journalist who has covered 10 presidents (and got some good laughs on the Colbert Report, too). She was being helped towards the WH security entrance by an aide (Helen is 89, after all) and I told her to keep up the good work. She responded with a smile and said thank you, which made my day.
Now Helen Thomas is certainly not a household name, and I don't know I could have recognized her more than 4 years ago when the internet made her semi-famous.
And I thought about her and the things she's seen and the people she's talked to. I thought, "This woman is living history." And I looked around and saw a woman being pushed in a wheelchair, and a veteran with a WWII cap on, and I thought how much more interesting these people are then all the history books put together.
And yet most of the time, they are seen as just old and slow. They are bad drivers. Their TV is up is too loud. They take too long in the grocery aisle. They are a hindrance, used-up, in the way, a nuisance. How terrible....
But it is. And I should know - up until I was in my early 20's I disliked adults in general, and felt completely divorced from senior citizens. Their needs and desires seemed unfathomable. It seemed like they were over, their life behind them, and they were just buying time until the end.
So my childhood was basically spent without realizing how cool old people can be. And I'm sure I'm not alone, which sucks.

10 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

Good with Gmilfs Exhibit A

Dianna said...

I thought you were kidding, Geo, I really thought you were just kidding.

Watch him while he's in Pawtucket, OK?

Jon, you stay away from those JGmilfs, you hear?

Melissa. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa. said...

Dianna - You just told Rubin to stay away from JGmilfs. You mean Gmilfs of other denominations are OK? Yowza!

shesthesheriff said...

Wait a minute. Did Melissa just say 'Yowza'?

shesthesheriff said...

Ya don't worry I'm pretty sure they stay clear of Gamestop. We'll steer clear of East Side Marketplace and CVS-where the Gmilfs traditionally stalk their prey.

Jonathan Rubin said...

I hate everyone involved in this needlessly damning thread :P

shesthesheriff said...

ya it seems that way man--what you are blacking out comments now? POLICE STATE! ATTICA!!

shesthesheriff said...

On the other hand look how popular these blogs are compared to your endless rants about fox news! I'm still waiting for pinata candy part 2. Return of the son of shut up and beat your pinata. Speaking of pinata we need to go to the pinata center when you come to RI. Not joking, its a real store.

Dianna said...

Gmilfs of any denomination are not OK, but I know that the JGmilfs have a certain affinity for Jon.