Friday, November 13, 2009

The truth about 'Truth'


I was always equal parts impressed and skeptical about the ballsy in-your-face anti-smoking ads - like this shredder one or this super-memorable one about rat poison.
My skepticism, however, came from the fact that there seemed to be no information at the time about the ad sponsor - someone called "Truth." There was no info about their funding or other stuff, and so rumors circulated that they were, in fact, funding by cigarette companies who were forced to create anti-smoking ad campaigns against their own products (which is ridiculous, but that's another story).
I was at a PR conference a few weeks ago, and they said that the Truth ads were, in fact, sponsored by the American Legacy Foundation, which was created by tobacco $$$ given to the government as part of a settlement.
So AHA!!! I guess tobacco companies are kind of behind it... but not really.... Damn, I thought this article was going to end differently but Wikipedia done steered me wrong...

1 comment:

shesthesheriff said...

Wait--who is this..did I call you? There's too many buttons on this remote control!!