Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Imparting the lesson


At the voting booth at 6:40 a.m. this morning, there were the usual group of Democrats and Republicans handing out "instructive ballots" telling you exactly how they wanted you to vote. My vote was digital, painless and took all of 3 minutes.
When I got out, I noticed that the Republican flyer-hander-outer was about 70, and the Democratic ones were spunky folks in their 30's. I imagined a scene in my head, talking to my future son:

Me: Son, see these two groups. This one (pointing to the old man) is the Republican. He believes in tradition, and that people should find their own way in life. He is scared of the future and new ideas. He believes the old ways are best and the new ways will take us into darkness.
This one (pointing to the young folks) is the Democrat. He believes that the old ways are wrong and that we should give power to as many power as possible. He believes that we are all responsible for each other, even for the irresponsible among us. He sees the past as a mistake and wants to leave it behind forever.
So, which do you think has the right answer?
Son: (hesitant)... I don't know.
Me: That's a good answer. No one has all the answers. Life isn't about extremes, it's about the gray areas in between. Each can learn from each other if they only talk and look for what's right, not what their interests are.
Son: Dad, I'm three. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Me: Oh... I see. Well... you're grounded.

5 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

Ungrateful little sod. Here you are trying to have a tender fatherly/educational moment-you deserve better than this disrespectful treatment. Now would be a good time to tell the little punk that he's adopted, even if he isn't.

Jess said...

Bahahah he can string together some solid sentences for a three year old

Jonathan Rubin said...

Believe it or not, kids really do say stuff like this. I asked a friend's son Kaiden once what he thought about something, and he said, "What do you want from me? I'm three!"

shesthesheriff said...

Yah kids are getting smarter--especially at Whole Foods, where I recently heard a little girl who couldn't be much older than 5, tell her mom that 'this cheese is too overpowering, can we get the swiss instead?'

When I was a kid, I knew 'steak, corn, potatoes, apple juice, graham crackers, and purple drink.'

Jonathan Rubin said...

God bless that purple drink