Monday, September 7, 2009

Jews shooting skeet...


...with shotguns, naturally.
Observations from a skeet firing range:

1. Gun people are nice to newbies. They asked if we had shot before and when we said no they gave us a demo. Our gun buddy also did not support the "gun nut" stereotype - he's a physics major and was studying linear algebra while we were shooting.

2. Gun people are really, really good shots. Like, 100 for 100 good shots. And they bring their own gear. They also kind of look like fly fisherman.

3. Guns are cheap to rent. A 12 gauge shotgun and 100 shells for 4 people is $15 a person.

4. Shotgun shells are heavier than you think. They are like rolls of quarters. They also "kick" at different levels of force depending on how much gunpowder is in them. We used "1 1/8 ounce" shells. My shoulder only started feeling sore after shell #30 or so.

5. Guns are less scary than you think. At first, the instruction they gave us seemed laughable. I handed over my driver's license, they handed me a shotgun and ammo. Our guide showed us how to load, where to stand and how to aim.
He taught us basic gun safety - don't load the gun anywhere but the shooting range, keep it barrel down at all times except when you are about to shoot. When shooting, lean forward, and if you're not shooting, hug a wall.
Without 30 seconds we were shooting. We felt like we had no business being anywhere near a gun, but in the end, we realized gun safety really is mostly common sense. We were perfectly safe, and the gun quickly became a tool (albeit still a very dangerous one).
I still don't believe in personal handgun ownership, but I feel less frightened by the thought of "gun nuts." At least the ones I saw.

6. Guns are hard to use. I went zero for 50. My friends said they would most likely not choose me on their team to fight the zombie apocalypse. Can't blame 'em....

3 comments:

shesthesheriff said...

These friends obviously don't know your true value as an inventory man. I'll bet these same guys would sell their enchanted loot without even attempting to haggle, and they'd most likely enter the final battle with insufficient stores of restore health and magicka potions.

Jonathan Rubin said...

A thousand thanks for recognizing my true skills...
"No, guys - don't use the regular shotgun bullets on these guys - use the electro rounds!"

Zeyev said...

The only time I have ever enjoyed shooting was target practice with a rifle. I was terrible at it and the noise was very hard to take.

The Jewish part? The only supposedly non-Jewish aspect of using a rifle or shotgun is in hunting. Other than that, there should be no bar so I have no idea why it should be considered Goyish to enjoy skeet shooting.

Practice, practice.