- People really do know their neighbors
- Priuses are rare
- You might see people wearing wifebeaters, baseball hats and sports jerseys discussing financial derivatives and residuals over bacon and eggs
- Fields of corn and soybeans abound
- You might hear a song on the radio called "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk," and you might just like it
- Sports-themed cornhole sets are a great way to pass the afternoon
- Jesus is a big deal (see right) and adorns many a bumper sticker
- I saw an amazing capacity for kindness (clothes drives held at a truckstop BP gas station) and hatred (swastikas or David Duke slogans at 3 of the 3 public bathrooms I visited). So I guess it's pretty much like everywhere else, except different.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
In the rural Midwest...
Posted by Jonathan Rubin