Thursday, April 9, 2009

Picky, or keepin' the faith?

Here is an email Dianna sent to a coworker of mine who wanted to cook something for my birthday:

"So during Passover (which starts at sundown on April 8), Jon can't eat anything with: wheat, barley, spelt, rye, oats, rice, corn, lentils, beans and peanuts. It's extensive, I know!! And the whole time he still maintains his usual dietary laws of: no meat mixed with milk, no shellfish, no pork. So basically...he can't eat anything fun at all."

Wow... I look like a bubble boy... :)

6 comments:

Dianna said...

I didn't mean.....that....your diet is fine! Different strokes for different folks?

Jonathan Rubin said...

I know :) I just love how exotic it looks.... almost like an extraterrestrial diet.

Zeyev said...

Greetings, fellow aliens. I like the minor list of seals of kosher-certification authorities - there are days when I wish they could consolidate. But we're Jews. We make it a point not to agree with each other, even on such issues as what constitutes kosher food. Oy! I sincerely hope nobody's trying to understand all of this.

The rule that gets me is that one can't eat fish and meat on the same plate at the same time. Try to get an explanation of that one!

Zeyev said...

This is probably only a partial list. One wonders if they agree on much of anything.

ttp://www.kashrut.com/agencies/

Jonathan Rubin said...

Zeyev,
Your list is far and away the most authoritative... exhaustingly so.

Zeyev said...

You're right - "exhausting" may even be a better term rather than "exhaustive."