Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Emotional connoisseur


Vulcans (whose finger gestures were based on Jewish rites, BTW) believe that emotions - sadness, anger, etc. are irrational and endemic to unstable people, and should be avoided.
I, on the other hand, love displays of emotion, especially other people's. Recently, I've been interested in seeking out sources of emotions and just basking in the stream. Through the magic of the internets, it's easy to find an emotional current. Some of late for me:

Nice comments from Wikipedia donors - Here I read and read and smile. All these nice things from people all over the world who wanted nothing in return.

Inspirational Stories ("Mail carrier saves woman from Near-Northside fire, completes her rounds" - scroll to bottom for comments)

On the other side of the spectrum is the intense, boiling anger that everyone feels about AIG. It's everywhere - blogs, cartoons, and in untold news articles, youtube clips, etc. I enjoy listening to the argument. Maybe what attracts me is the strange unity that is created by shared feelings. It's like being at a rock concert and feeling an experience all around you that you are a part of. It's history that you feel a part of, or something... I just enjoy it.

No comments: