Thursday, March 26, 2009

Catchup

1. I asked my friend Warren what's the story behind a "Bundt Cake." He said, essentially, that "the Jews did it." Amazingly, he was right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake

2. You can ask the White House questions. And people sure have.

3. Dianna and I were once talking about fundraising. I told her that I have a different perspective on it since I working in the fundraising world for a few years. I told her it's very common for people to keep tabs on you and the general health of your finances so they can make an educated guess for how much you can donate. She said this sounded like spying. I said, well, maybe, but it's for a good cause. I then told her how it's common to be "solicited" by a fellow coworker at the non-profit where you work, and that you are expected to make a gift of some kind. She was suprised that I spoke so positively about the process, and said I seemed to be suffering from some sort of Philanthropic Stockholm Syndrome. Nice one, D.

4. I got assigned to help with Recovery.gov, the U.S. government's project to make the bailout as transparent as possible. Overheard today, "Make sure it's on the front page, because the Vice President wants it on the front page." Cool.

5. Wonder what information is around the government-issured Security Card on my neck?

"HSPD-12 Tip Of The Week: What Information Is Stored About Me On My Card?
Your employee ID badge, also called the HSPD-12 card, has the
following encrypted information about you: full name, photo,
organization, affiliation (employee or contractor), fingerprint
minutiae and cryptographic keys. Fingerprint minutiae are mathematical
representations of your fingerprints used for matching purposes and
cannot be used to replicate your fingerprints. Your HSPD-12 card does
not contain personal information, such as your Social Security number,
date of birth, or personal address. No one can access information on
your HSPD-12 card without your PIN and a card reader. Visit our
HSPD-12 Web page for more information about GSA's HSPD-12 efforts."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing on the card is encrypted. (unless your referring to the card management key, which depending on how it is managed, it may be "diversified"). Otherwise, certain elements are protected by PIN access (i.e., minutiae, all keys besides card authentication, etc.)

Zeyev said...

Ah yes, the old "front-page" gambit. A previous administration (that I will not name in public) didn't mean anything like a website They meant that an agency should issue a press release, declare victory, and then move on to another project without fixing the underlying problem. I hope this administration remains more focused on resolving full issues.

PS It's an easy equation. If the Greeks didn't do it, if the Chinese didn't do it, it just may have been the Jews. :-)