Friday, December 12, 2008

This woman thinks I'm a jerk

At the checkout at Target yesterday, I noticed that our cashier wore a Muslim headscarf. She was young - probably 17 or so, and had a nice smile and dressed very fashionably (And, no, the pic to my left isn't her, but I needed some sort of visual aid). I have two weaknesses that frequently embarrass those around me - I love people, and I am impossibly curious. This leads me to ask people I don't know questions about stuff I'd like to know.

For the life of me, I could not remember what the name of the Muslim headscarf was. So asked her what it was called. Just to know I was semi-culturally literate, I offered up my best recollection of what it was called - a "Is it a kuffi-yah?"

Her smile shifted to a look that was equal parts disbelief and disappointment.

"Uhhhh.... no," she said in classic teenage haughtiness. "It's a hijab."

"Oh right!" I said with a smile. She didn't return it. She rang me out without another word.

I couldn't understand why she was so upset at my good-intentioned question. Then I Googled Kuffiyah. It looks like this (below). Oops.


2 comments:

Greg Trotter said...

you are such a dick.

Jonathan Rubin said...

yeah, I know....All headdresses are NOT created equal.