Sunday, July 13, 2008

Review: Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

Possible one-sentence reviews:
1. Red, mean and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
2. Intriguing yet insubstantial, like a cardboard cut-out of something that once possessed cache.
3. Intriguing yet insubstantial, HellBoy II is as disappointing as the first movie; even hard-core fans may wish for Wall-E.
4. Despite occasional treasures, Hellboy II belly-flops onto the screen, with clumsy dialogue, uninspiring characters and a plot that can't seem to decide if it's a comedy, action or drama.

3 comments:

Greg Trotter said...

ha! all four are true. a possible fifth review:

5) guillermo del toro's incredible artistic vision and my seven bucks were wasted on this crappy movie.

George said...

I like the fourth one..and the 5th one.I'll offer a 6th:

6) Hellboy 2 mad Suuuuuuuccked

Jonathan Rubin said...

well said, my friends. I think we can start our own movie critiquing business here.